Monday, July 9, 2007

July 09, Niagra Falls to Holly, New York, 72 miles

Am back in the US after having taken Ontario by force. 3 centuries in as many days.

Left Niagra Falls this morning where I stayed last night. Crossed the border at The Lewiston and Queenstown bridge which had only recently converted its pedestrian pathway into a truck lane. The Canadian side had a new sign directing cycists over the bridge. However the US department of homeland security on the other side werent impressed at seeing a bike coming across at this point.

Continued to Lockport where I ate a spot of lunch. At this point I picked up the Erie Canal which I would be riding for the next 90 miles. Its hard to believe that I'm actually in New York state- (the canal is like something from the Irish midlands complete with barges).

During the afternoon I stopped in a quiet town called Albion which would have been a thriving canal town in its day. Made for a pleasant stop. In the middle of town 2 teenage guys with skateboards approached me and handed me a leaflet. They asked me if I had 'been saved?' I asked them from what? They didnt seem to really know the answer to this other than to say that they had been saved by Jesus. Having been here for 6 weeks this doesnt seem to be remotely out of the ordinary. Jesus is everywhere. Yet in the entire time I've been here I literally havent heard a single word about more pressing issues such as climate change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the quotes.
I once had an american say to me:

"You're Irish! My dog is Irish! An Irish setter!"

croninjj said...

yo back on net after losing connection for couple of weeks. you're making good progress. hopefully those yanks don't think ireland is part of the uk like pretty much every australian does