Monday, June 4, 2007

May 28 - Anacortes to Marblemont,Washington 68.8 miles











I rebuilt the bike last night and this morning. I noticed that somehow the bolts for the front racks got somehow left behind. So i took a visit down to the local bike shop to buy replacements. I also got the storeguy to tighten the rear derailler which was acting up.

That done, and having bought a few final provisions, I headed for the local beach- The most northwesterly beach in the USA (there or thereabouts). As tradition dictates I dipped the back wheel in the pacific and took the compulsory photo -much the the bemusement of a bystander. Before heading out I reset the odometer on the bike to 0.0 miles.

The town of Anacortes where I'm leaving from is on a Penninsula similar to Howth and it seems everybody was there for the holiday weekend. The traffic was reasonable busy heading out of town as people headed home for the weekend. It seems that everybody here drives a 4X4 usually with a mobile home in tow. Heading out further east the traffic started to become lighter. A couple stopped beside me at a set of lights and asked where I was going. Boston. Gradually the mileage figure on the clock increased and the landscape became more rural. The Cascade mountains have been drawing ever closer all day. I passed through Concrete (tiny town with a colossal welcome sign) and ended the days ride in marblemont where I had buffalo stew in the local restaurant. I stayed in a small B&B to help stave off the last of the jet lag.






2 comments:

croninjj said...

so the trip started on monday june 4th; but you arrived on may27th? what were you doing in the interim you lazy §$%§..?
j

Anonymous said...

Do you have a basket on your bike?