Friday, June 8, 2007

June 1, Republic To Colville, Washington, 58.5 miles








I'm still in the North Cascade mountain region and today would see me climbing another mountain pass - The Sherman Pass 1800m. But not before I had a massive artery clogging breakfast at a local cafe. Just as well I'm cycling up a mounatin today. The waitresses always ask "how would you like your eggs?" and I'm never sure what the correct answer is supposed to be.

It was to be 40 miles of continuous climbing before I would get to the pass. I was stopped along the way as a herd of cattle came towards me being 'driven' by numerous cowboys and cowgirls on horseback. Irish cows seem extremely laid back when compared to the cows they have here.

The main traffic on the road to the pass was to be logging trucks which seemed to pass every few minutes. After about 5 hours of climbing we eventually made the Pass with much relief. I got a respectful honk from one of the passing logging trucks at the top.

The final 18miles of the day was down the far side of the pass through winding heavily wooded roads. The mountains here are covered with tens of thousands of acres of woodland. I stopped for the night in Colville and camped at the small local campground.

3 comments:

croninjj said...

say "sunny-side-up" if you want them runny that is. I've developed a preference for poached which i believe is slightly healthier. Poached with bacon and a bit of toast topped with hollandaise sauce - yummy yummy

Anonymous said...

If you had a bell on your bike you could have rung it when the trucker honked.

croninjj said...

when they ask, you should say "fertilized"