Monday, June 18, 2007

June 16, Wolf Point to Williston, North Dakota 95 miles






Hit the road about 10.30am although had been intending to get out earlier given the intended mileage. Was hoping that the winds would be favourable to me but unfortunately I would be cycling against heavy headwinds all day.

Todays route took me 70 miles through the Fort Peck Indian reservation (one of the many that I've passed through). Yesterday a waitress at a restaurant had seen me looking at maps and advised me not to stop in any of the reservation towns as they were supposed to be pretty lawless.

The landscape was extremely undulating all day and therefore had a lot of climbing to do. I had been expecting flat plains similar to Montana but was quite surprised. It would be like cycling for 95 miles through a hillier version of Ballybunion golf course. Long green grasses under dark skies.

I stopped at a small petrol station after 30 miles to top up on food and water. An Indian guy there advised me to take an alteration to the main route which turned out to be a good thing as it was far less hilly and less busy. 20 miles down the road while still in the reservation a car pulled up beside me. The guy behind the wheel was a native Indian and just pulled up to say hello. When I told him I was Irish he was duly impressed and got out of his car. He told me his Indian name was 'Running Brave' and that he was Sioux. Indians always seem to shake hands with their left hands.

Continued on to a town called Cullbertson where I ate a 2 person pizza before heading out for the last 35 miles of the day. The skies behind me have been looking very ominous all day. Eventually hit the state border about 7.00pm and took a photo at the state welcome sign. This is the third time zone that I'm travelling through so I had to wind my watch forward an hour. This meant that I would be getting into Williston quite late about 10pm.

4 miles outside of Williston a guy in a pick up truck pulled up in front of me and advised me that he had just heard an tornado warning for the area. He said I'd probably outrun it but I could throw the bike in the back of his pick up if I wanted a lift to town. Reluctantly I took up on his offer having quickly decided to come back to the same spot in the morning and take up where I stopped.

Got left off in Williston (locals always seem to go out of their way to help complete strangers). Given the tornado warning I decided to look for a cheap hotel of which there are plenty. Unfortunately, even though Williston is a large sized town every single one was booked up. Turns out that the Miss North Dakota final was on that night. So I cycled 3 miles north of town under thunder and lighting to the local RV/Campground. There was 1 other tent there and numerous motor homes. Put up the tent near the laundry block which I knew I could bail to if things got really nasty. The rains came just as I was settling into my sleeping bag along with nearly 3 hours of constant thunder and lightning. The tornado never came and ultimately I got a solid 8 hours sleep.

No comments: