Friday, June 8, 2007

May 31, Okangoag to Republic, Washington, 72.6miles

Left Okanogan this morning about 10am and cycled 30 miles to Tonasket. Had lunch on a shaded terrace of an outdoor cafe. The local american guy at the table beside me recognized my accent as a suburban Dublin accent. He suggested that it "could be from one of the suburbs like Dun Laoghaire". Small world. Everybody is universally extremely friendly, and even more so when I tell them my plans.

From Tonasket I headed back out into the mid90f heat for another 42 miles. The rest of the day would be steep climbing all the way up to Wacunda Pass at 1500meters. The landscape is all farmland ranch and was becoming increasingly isolated as I climbed. I stopped at a very small gas station and convenience store about 5 miles from the pass to top up on food. Unfortunately it can be hard to find decent food even at reasonably large 'convenience' stores. This particular store sold more fish bait than human food.

Eventually I made the pass about 8pm. The last 10 miles was steep winding decent all the way to the small town of Republic. Along the decent I got a chased by an alsation which ran out to me from a roadside house. It managed to keep up with me until I hit 26mph. Just as well I was going downhill.

I ate dinner in a restaurant/bar together with Chuck Fessler who I met with yesterday and a group of Alaskans who are also cycling the same route. The town fairgrounds has an area set aside for camping which I and several others took advantage of.

No comments: