Monday, June 4, 2007

Finally Here - May 27th

I flew into Seattle Sea-Tac airport last night. My bags and the all important bikebox somehow managed to get there too. However the bikebox looked like it had been dropped out of the plane several times. I stayed at one of the airport hotels. My intention this morning was to take the bus straight up to Anacortes 90 miles north of the airport area and assemble the bike when I got there. I wont know what condition the bikes in until I eventually open the box in Anacortes. However while waiting for the bus at the airport I happened to notice a small metal unimportant looking ring drop out of the bike box... yikes.. my suspicion which turned out to be correct was that this part was one of the headset spacers (part that connects the front forks to the frame. This would indicate that the headset cap had also come off and that these items had probbaly found their way to various different parts of the universe. I didnt want to open the bike box thee and then but realised I needed to stock up on replacement parts for when I did eventually open the b0x futher north. I spoke to a guy at an information point in the airport about the possibliity of finding a bike shop on a holiday Sunday (its memorial weekend here-Mondays a holiday). The guy googled all the bike shops in Seattle and then rang one to make sure they had the necessary parts. Sound! Anyway, I left the bike at an airport store and took an unscheduled bus trip into downtown Seattle to get my replacement headset spacers and covercaps. Ultimately all proved a worthy trip. Spent 4 hours in downtown Seattle and then got a bus back to the airport where I collected the bikebox and got my connecting bus to Anacortes. I'm staying in a motel tonight where I can rebuild the bike. The trip proper starts tomorrow.

No comments: