Tuesday, June 26, 2007

June 25, Long Prairie to St.Cloud, Minnesota, 86 miles





























Left the campground at 9.30 and had breakfast at a local restaurant on main street where I got my fill of coffee and pancakes. Then visited the library where they usually have free internet access.

Headed east out of town on a reasonably busy highway 27 which had probably the worst surface I've come across so far. Pulled into Little Falls 27 miles later where I stopped again for steak. Eating out is generally less than half the price of what one can expect at home.

In Little Falls I had my first crossing of the Mississippi which I'm going to be following to Minneapolis and beyond.

Route finding out of Little Falls needed a little attention - trying to avoid the particularly busy highway. Eventually found a quite side road which was heading the rightway. I'm now heading directly south towards Minneapolis. This was particularly trying given the strong headwind for most of the day. 86miles at 12mph isnt fun.

Then the big one- 2000 miles on the odometre! This represents the halfway point on the journey. It is quite timely as I'm about 3 days short of the halfwaypoint-timewise.

The landscape on the backroads proved a good distraction from the headwind. I saw mature wheatfields for the first time today. Temperatures were in the high 80's F. It can as a relieft when I got an unexpected spray of water from a field irrigation system.

Stopped in a small town called Rice for some more 'nose-bag'- before the final 26mile cycle to the far side of St.Cloud.

No comments: