Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 19, Minot to Rugby, North Dakota, 61 miles
























































I had a couple of things to do in Minot today so I left late about 5pm for the 60 mile cycle to Rugby -the geographical centre of north America !!

Thankfully the cycling today would be reasonably easy with a favourable tailwind behind me so I averaged close to 20mph and arrived into Rugby about 9pm having stopped for breaks at the only 2 towns along the way (Granville and Towner).

Weather today sunny but not opressively so. Rugby has a schoolbus workshop about 1 mile before town so all I could see for about 500 meters was hundreds and hundreds of yellow school buses parked artistically in the empty fields.

5 miles be fore town I passed a sign which read 'Geographic centre of north America-5miles' which I thought was an ammusing concept. Rugby is the geographical centre of north America - on both axis! In the centre of town to mark this point is a rather naff little stone obelisk . Although I still have another 300 miles of cycling before I get to the centre point of the trip as the home leg is less direct.








































No comments: