Tuesday, June 5, 2007

May 29, Marblemont to Mazama, Washington, 75 miles






















I knew today was probably be going to be one of the toughest days of the entire trip. Todays ride would take me up the Cascade mountains and back down the far side to the town of Mazama. The highest point on the ride today would be over 2000 meters above sea level. I was starting today at just 300 meters above sea level and the route included many downhill sections that I would have to reclimb. Overall height gain today was therefore well in excess of 2 vertical kilometers (2 Carrauntohills !).

As I left the town of Marblemont a sign said "last services for 70 miles". I bought the complusory tree load of bannanas and energy foods before leaving and headed eastbound out of town.

The climbing was relentless all day. An addditional concern was the relentless heat. 95F at midday. Traffic was reasonably light during the day. I'm seeing plenty of people on motorbikes who seem to be doing similar trips albeit of the non-banana-powered- variety. They almost always give a very casual wave involving lifting their left hand without actually looking or nodding at me.

The climb took my up past Ross Lake and dam and weaved its way slowly past scenic viewpoint after another. Generally I stopped every 45minutes or so to get off for 5minutes and eat some food. Halfway through the day it started to dawn on me that I might not make it to the pass at all before dark and that I may have to turn around and head back down hill towards a safe camp spot. Howevered I persevered and after 9 hours of uphill I reached the penultimate pass -'Rainypass'. There then followed a fast 2mile long decent before hitting the final 5mile long climb to Washington Pass which I hit with some relief approximately 1 hour later at 8pm and 10 hours after having set out.

The landscape either side of the road was deep snow at this point despite having been roasting at valley level. I propped the bike against the 'Washington Pass-elevation 5450' and took a picture. Before setting out for the decent I checked the bike to make sure that nothing had come loose and while doing so a car stopped beside me.
There had been cars passing intermittently every 15minutes or so all day. The driver rolled down his window and simple said "everything good?" Indeed it was.

I finished the day in the hill town of Mazama which lies about 15 miles from the summit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If your bike had a basket, you could put the bananas in it.


(Seriously impressed with the 10 hour cycle)