Thursday, June 14, 2007

June 12, Shelby to Havre, Montana, 107.5 miles

grain silos
The road to Boston



1000 miles !!!!
'Big Sky Country'


Left the campground early this morning in anticipation of todays reasonably long ride. Luckily I had a constant tailwind all day which kept my average speed above 20miles per hour. Top speed today was 39mph.

I am now firmly in the 'plains' and the Rockies have all but dissapeared into the horizon. The logging trucks have dissapeared but they've been replaced by grain trucks.

Stopped for luch in a town called Chester after about 50 miles. Later at about 80miles I stopped at a tiny town called Gildford and sat on a bench outside the local store. An elderly farmer approached me with the usual curiosity. When I mentioned that I was from Ireland he asked me how come my English was so good. I imagine he had never been out of his home town let alone the US.

Finished the day in the university town of Havre where I got a room in the local university which was free! (although they said they usually charge)

No comments: